Pens for use with Cricut Explore

If it's specifically Cricut related ..you can post it here.
MsWipz
Post Whore

Pens for use with Cricut Explore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:25 pm

This is just a draft list so I can add in to the post as I test them all out to see which ones do or don't work and which ones require an adapter. Where possible I am also going to link where I got them... although I'd be lying if I said I remembered all of them LOL

The Write Dudes - Super Gel pens

http://www.target.com/p/write-dudes-24ct-black-medium-tip-gel-ink-pen/-/A-14257186#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=super+gel+pens+the+write+dudes

MsWipz
Post Whore

Re: Pens for use with Cricut Explore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Write Dudes SRX 8ct Asst. Metallic Ink Permanent Marker

I forget where I got mine to be honest, but Target sell them for $4.99

http://www.target.com/p/write-dudes-srx ... A-13603731

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:47 pm

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Gelly Roll Clear Stardust Gel Pens

I have bought these in 2 packs at Michaels and when I realized how much I liked them I bought them in 6 packs from Amazon. They are clear with a gold shimmer.

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Pentel - sunburst metallic med gel pen

I believe these came from Hobby Lobby
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/pentel-gold-medium-sunburst-metallic-gel-pens-243824/

So far.. on a quick test of some of my Metallic Gel Pens on black card.. these ones are definitely a favorite. Needs the fat marker adapter if you want to keep the rubber grips on these pens.... but will work with the slim pen holder, if you remove it. Not holding out much hope of these fitting the regular Explore pen housing though....but I will try that later too.

These have a real nice smooth write and aren't as faint a some of the others. They are not quite as fine as the Recollections listed, which would probably require a second pass to be as bold. ( will post sample images later ) that's not to say the Recollections ones are not good pens, they write equally as smooth and have a finer point which I like..and a second pass would probably make those comparable, if not better for some projects. I will try them on a second pass and after a warm up to see if that helps pass more ink through and compare them again.

Gelly Roll Stardust looks really cool, writes nice and smooth... but I'd advise against using it for a lot of text due to its glittery finish. I'd save that one for Embellishments and Greetings Headers etc ... not for poems and sentiments of more than a few words. It works fine at 22pt, nice and clean ....but if you have eyesight issues.. bigger text would be better and less is more.

I still need to test the Write Dude metallics on black card.. stay tuned.....

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:50 pm

American Crafts Medium Point Metallic Markers - 5-pack

I think I got these at Michaels ??

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:14 pm

American Crafts - Recollections Signature Metallic Gel Pens

I got mine at Michaels

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:16 pm

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Crayola Fine Point Washable Markers Classic Colors - Bold, 8 count

I am pretty sure these are the ones I have, they come from Walmart.. they always have the cheapest Crayolas round here.

DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber

Postby DeeScraps » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks for posting all the photos. I've put off buying more things for the Explore until I started using it more. Maybe in August!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:14 pm

DeeScraps wrote:Thanks for posting all the photos. I've put off buying more things for the Explore until I started using it more. Maybe in August!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Hold off until I finish this post.. I haven't tested all of these in the Cricut yet.. that is why I am posting the list so I can go and test them all and report back which ones work and which need the adapters ...and which ones just suck lol : )

I know some of the marker style pens, I personally don't like, I think they are too thick for most of the stuff I do... I am sure they have their uses .. but for the most part the skinny gels and like are much more useable for what I do.

Trust me by August you will have used your Cricut Explore Plenty haha ... I know you and challenges :) If I can get this list done before the July challenge starts I almost guarantee you will be buying anything that fits without an adapter ... and that will probably be on order along with the pens that fit. LOL

LauraLee1
Get the Paddles Ready

Postby LauraLee1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

Do you know if this works with the One too? Did I mess up buying a One, you need a separate adapter for it. Does the regular Explore and Explore air write and cut at the same time?
Just wondering if there was a need to draw and then cut like the old expressions.

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 pm

LauraLee1 wrote:Do you know if this works with the One too? Did I mess up buying a One, you need a separate adapter for it. Does the regular Explore and Explore air write and cut at the same time?
Just wondering if there was a need to draw and then cut like the old expressions.

As far as I know..and I may be wrong so feel free to correct me if anyone knows differently.. I believe the One is just an Explore/air without some of the extras.. its a base model that you can upgrade... I think? .. So with that being said, I would expect the pen holder to be exactly the same... You just have to swap it in and out to use either that, or the blades..whereas the Explore and Air have blade and pen housing so you can use them both independently. They don't write and cut at "exactly" the same time.. but you have both housings side by side and so you don't have to remove the blade to write.

I don't actually know anyone who has an Explore One.. sorry. If you are looking at getting an adapter like Amy Chomas for it too..I bet she either has one already, or knows whether the One has a different pen holder. You could email her ?

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:53 am

Ranger emboss it pens work great with a marker Adapter from Amy Chomas. .. they are too wide for the regular adapter that comes on your Explore, or the gel pen adapter from Amy. Be aware these are not super fine pens, so designs with intricate/fine detailing won't work so well ..but with the right designs.... these pens work great for embossing on the Cricut Explore :)

I was a bit worried that the ink would dry to soon because of how long it takes to "write" an image, but mine was fine on approx 3x4 inch image.

I'm not sure how well it would perform with a full size 8.5x11 image, but you just know I will find out one day LOL

https://shop.rangerink.com/

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:22 am

MsWipz,
Did Miss Amy get back to you about group buying the adapters?
Thanks!

Return to “Everything Cricut”