Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

If it's specifically Cricut related ..you can post it here.
Webi45
Check for a Pulse
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby Webi45 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Want to know opinions on what is the best printer to use as companion for my Explore for the print and cut option. I am new to the wonderful world of Cricut. Would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. I purchased an Explore about a year ago and I am just now getting it set up. So excited to get started.
Thank you bunches

Webi

User avatar
DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: FL

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby DeeScraps » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:12 pm

That's a great question. I just use my HP Photosmart Inject.

Dee

User avatar
MsWipz
Post Whore
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am
Location: Texass
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby MsWipz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Webi45 wrote:Want to know opinions on what is the best printer to use as companion for my Explore for the print and cut option. I am new to the wonderful world of Cricut. Would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. I purchased an Explore about a year ago and I am just now getting it set up. So excited to get started.
Thank you bunches

Webi


In general Color Laser printers do not have as good resolution.. so it depends on what you are printing I guess. Laser are however awesome, if you like foiling and planned to do a lot of it. If you aren't just go use Kinkos for odd foiling projects.

I would hazard a guess that most card crafters are using photo quality Inkjet printers .. some random person here or there may be using a wax or other specialist printers depending on what they do.. but the average jo blo at home doing a hobby is 99.9 % most likely using an Inkjet.

:)

User avatar
NanaDonna
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 am
Location: Arizona - But it's a dry heat
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby NanaDonna » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 am

Inkjet here.
I have 2 Epson printers. one is an Artisan 837 and prints the most awesome photos ever
and the one I have in my craft room is an Epson Workforce 7610 wide format that I use for
all my crafting stuff including print then cut and it works fine. With that said the "instruction" or
command from Design Space to your printer does not send a very high quality print command.
Hope this makes sense. My printer will print much better quality when printing something else
then it does when I do print and cut. The quality is OK (not as good as it could be)with print and cut but it is something
Cricut is aware of and "working" on.

User avatar
MsWipz
Post Whore
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am
Location: Texass
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby MsWipz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 am

NanaDonna wrote:Inkjet here.
I have 2 Epson printers. one is an Artisan 837 and prints the most awesome photos ever
and the one I have in my craft room is an Epson Workforce 7610 wide format that I use for
all my crafting stuff including print then cut and it works fine. With that said the "instruction" or
command from Design Space to your printer does not send a very high quality print command.
Hope this makes sense. My printer will print much better quality when printing something else
then it does when I do print and cut.
The quality is OK (not as good as it could be)with print and cut but it is something
Cricut is aware of and "working" on.


There was a topic about that recently on the old board...I know Omar had a work around for some it using PDF.. bu I think the lady came back saying she had found a solution.. but I don't recall what it was now. anyone recall this ?..it was in the last month or so.

User avatar
DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: FL

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby DeeScraps » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 pm

I do remember that this was another reason that I wasn't so thrilled with the Print and Cut.

I have often read that Epson were the best printers but I've also read that they clog up a lot. Have you had that problem?

Dee

I know that Turtlebug should have Omar's link.

User avatar
NanaDonna
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 am
Location: Arizona - But it's a dry heat
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby NanaDonna » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm

I have never had an Epson print clog up and I have had Epson printer for 10+years.


Omar's blog is http://awesomesvgs.blogspot.com/

User avatar
MsWipz
Post Whore
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am
Location: Texass
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby MsWipz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm

NanaDonna wrote:I have never had an Epson print clog up and I have had Epson printer for 10+years.


Omar's blog is http://awesomesvgs.blogspot.com/

Me neither.. I've always had HP or Epson for the most part with a couple of cheapie lexmarx for every day cheap printing.. My personal ugg is Canon.. I love their camera's, but hate their printers lol

User avatar
SherriKay
Check for a Pulse
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby SherriKay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:46 am

I have two Canon printers and absolutely love the print quality. One is the MG7120 and the other is a wide format printer, the iP8720 that prints up to 13x19! Thick paper can run through the iP8720 as it runs straight through.

User avatar
Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:43 am

I believe inkjet printers are pretty good these days. It used to be the inks would run if they got wet but I think for the most part they have improved there. I have an older Canon color printer but don't even use it any more due to the cost of keeping up with the inks all the time. Haven't used it for several years. It's packed in a box now. But my black and white printer is a laser and I love it.

TurtleBug

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby TurtleBug » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:05 am

Hi Webi45 and Welcome :)
My daughter teaches computers and she has told me that her clients that own HP have the most problems with their printers. She has always had me use Epson right now I have a simple, not too fancy Epson XP-610 and she always uses Epson, too. I have never had trouble with mine, then again...all I do this very basic stuff. I have my Explore hooked up to it, but I really have not done too much print and cut, the few times that I have I've been happy with the results.

User avatar
DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: FL

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby DeeScraps » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 am

I like to print photos on mine.....sometimes....if not a B&W would probably be OK.

User avatar
Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:32 pm

TurtleBug: I guess there can be lemons in any brand. I've had HP B&W Laser Jet for probably 15+ yrs (2 printers). Can't remember when I got the first one. They have always been good printers for me. I'll probably stick with HP as long as I have good experience. The printer I have now I've had for about 5 years and it's still going strong. Never had problems. Hope it will last me several more.

User avatar
MsWipz
Post Whore
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am
Location: Texass
Contact:

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby MsWipz » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Valeriesc wrote:TurtleBug: I guess there can be lemons in any brand. I've had HP B&W Laser Jet for probably 15+ yrs (2 printers). Can't remember when I got the first one. They have always been good printers for me. I'll probably stick with HP as long as I have good experience. The printer I have now I've had for about 5 years and it's still going strong. Never had problems. Hope it will last me several more.

Me too... until I moved here, HP Was always my goto.. reliable old work horses and way easier to refill the ink than most, unless you buy special cartridges. I have both Epson and HP

User avatar
Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Printer Laser vs inkjet to use with Explore

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:55 pm

MsWipz wrote:
Valeriesc wrote:TurtleBug: I guess there can be lemons in any brand. I've had HP B&W Laser Jet for probably 15+ yrs (2 printers). Can't remember when I got the first one. They have always been good printers for me. I'll probably stick with HP as long as I have good experience. The printer I have now I've had for about 5 years and it's still going strong. Never had problems. Hope it will last me several more.

Me too... until I moved here, HP Was always my goto.. reliable old work horses and way easier to refill the ink than most, unless you buy special cartridges. I have both Epson and HP



Your mention of inks reminded me of something else. I have heard when you don't use the ink brands of your printer they can clog the printer jets. I have always bought HP ink refills or Canon ink refills made specifically for my printers. Those generic inks refills are the worst. My friend's husband had used those at one time for one of their printers several years ago and it ruined their printer jets. He is a pretty savvy person when it comes to printers, cameras, computers, etc. I was really surprised he tried doing that because I knew it wasn't the thing to do.

So for me it's using the correct ink refill and not using the generic stuff.

Gotta run! My thoughts are complete I think!! :lol:


Return to “Everything Cricut”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests