Copyright Legal Question

If it's specifically Cricut related ..you can post it here.
awestruck
Get the Paddles Ready

Copyright Legal Question

Postby awestruck » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 am

I got my Cricut in the fall and haven't had time to use it yet. I did find something I would have liked to make a picture of a Nativity I found on the Internet. When I looked further to find a pattern for something like that, I decided to look in the Cricut ones that were already made. I would like to make a picture like the one I saw but am wondering if I could even sell them or is there a copyright law that would forbid that? Would I have to design my own silhouette picture for this or could I use one that is already made if I want to make sell them?

Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy

Re: Copyright Legal Question

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:22 pm

awestruck wrote:I got my Cricut in the fall and haven't had time to use it yet. I did find something I would have liked to make a picture of a Nativity I found on the Internet. When I looked further to find a pattern for something like that, I decided to look in the Cricut ones that were already made. I would like to make a picture like the one I saw but am wondering if I could even sell them or is there a copyright law that would forbid that? Would I have to design my own silhouette picture for this or could I use one that is already made if I want to make sell them?

I would think you would be able to use it to sell in small amounts not sure about larger amount. But I would contact Cricut via e-mail and get it in writing as to what the copyright is on the exact image you are wanting to use. That way you would have something to back up the information given to you. Make sure you keep the e-mail and I would also keep a hard copy of the e-mail on file. Unless you can find something on the Cricut site or the Design Space Site. Not sure really where to look.

Copyrights are always a pretty big issue and you want to make sure you are given the correct information. By keeping the e-mail that would be your confirmation of what you were told and by whom.

Just my opinion though.

awestruck
Get the Paddles Ready

Postby awestruck » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for the insight and help.

Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:33 pm

awestruck wrote:Thanks for the insight and help.

You are so welcome. I didn't really give you an exact answer though, but hopefully you will be able to find the information you need.

Merrie
Chatty Cathy

Postby Merrie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Anish (the CEO of ProvoCraft) just posted the 'Angel Policy' for Cricut images a few days ago on a FB group I am a member of. Basically, if the image is included in the subscription- you can sell up to 10,000 copies of it. If it is not in the subscription- ie Disney, CTMH, etc. it is liscensed and you can only use it for personal use. HTH

Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy

Postby Valeriesc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Merrie wrote:Anish (the CEO of ProvoCraft) just posted the 'Angel Policy' for Cricut images a few days ago on a FB group I am a member of. Basically, if the image is included in the subscription- you can sell up to 10,000 copies of it. If it is not in the subscription- ie Disney, CTMH, etc. it is liscensed and you can only use it for personal use. HTH

So just the licensed carts can't be used to sell things made from them. So if I wanted to use one of the cuts on Paper Lace I could make and sell up to 10,000 copies of it. That is a lot of copies for sure!

Thanks Merrie for posting this information!!!

Merrie
Chatty Cathy

Postby Merrie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:22 pm

No problem Valerie. Hope this helps someone. I had to laugh when I read their 'Angel policy' allows up to 10,000 per image per year. I won't make that many of EVERYTHING in my lifetime! :lol: . You just have to make sure the cart is available in the subscription. It is not only the obvious ones like Disney, or Hello Kitty, or Batman, etc. Some of the 'regular' carts are copyrighted by the artists who did the design work. :)

Return to “Everything Cricut”