November 2015 Creative coloring card challenge

MsWipz
Post Whore

November 2015 Creative coloring card challenge

Postby MsWipz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:48 pm

This month our featured image is from:

http://www.doodledragonstudios.com/ Looking forward to some fun cards ladies and gents.. let's see what we can do with this new artist. He has lots of really cute images on his site and blog .. :)

SandyC
Contributor

Re: November 2015 Creative coloring card challenge

Postby SandyC » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:12 pm

I checked out his site when I got the freebie and you're correct - he has such cute images. I ended up buying a few. Thanks!

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:36 pm

SandyC wrote:I checked out his site when I got the freebie and you're correct - he has such cute images. I ended up buying a few. Thanks!

I have my eye on a few too.. he has some really cute dragons :)

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:33 pm

November Creative Coloring Card Challenge

*Giraffe - Is Mz Wipz's pick for the November 4Cs.... from DoodleDragons Studio, he is so darn cute! As usual, I used my good old watercolor pencils, except I used a Gelly Roll pen in "Silver" for the hoofs and horns...they are called "hoofs", as on a horse, right?? :pray:
*Papers - The rust and green is from ColorBok and is called "Feathers. The striped one is Recollections single sheet and has the very creative name of "Stripes".
*H'Birthday - Computer generated using the "Daddy's Girl" font. I popped it with 3-D tape for depth.
*Brads - Lime-green and orange stars from Recollections pack.
TFL!! :)

DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber

Postby DeeScraps » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:20 pm

This is my Dustin Pike free image. I didn't put a sentiment or name on the sign. I thought I'd do that when I use it. It makes such an adorable kids card!

The image is colored with Copic Markers.

The patterned paper is a single sheet by Die Cuts With a View. I'm not sure who makes the purple.

The twine is from my stash, but one of them is by Memory Makers.

I use a Color Box Cats Eye brown ink to darken the edges of the cut image.

Thanks,

Dee

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Dee
Love your Giraffe, I also have that BG paper and I like the matching twine you added to it. I love the color you used for his hoofs and horns, kind of a reddish brown. I have starting noticing how you add "blush" to the faces of your digis. it is such a cute detail, love it! You are right, it is a very cute and fun digi. :handgestures-thumbupright:

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks Turtlebug. That birthday paper is a great one to have on hand.

When you use your watercolor pencils, do you use water with them? If you don't and want to try it, pick up some cheap watercolor paper. It will make blending things easier for you.

Dee

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Dee,
I do blend it a little with a fine misted Q-tip. Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. Will it be heavy like cardstock, does Michael's or Joanne carry it?

Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy

Postby Valeriesc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 am

Got this done, but it will be a few days before I can even post it on message board. Tomorrow and Saturday are very busy.

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:06 am

TurtleBug wrote:Hi Dee,
I do blend it a little with a fine misted Q-tip. Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. Will it be heavy like cardstock, does Michael's or Joanne carry it?

Try Michaels, which seems to have a better art department, and look for something that says watercolor paper. Yes, it will be thicker and more textured than cardstock. You can also try using a brush with water to go over the coloring. Experiment and see what works.

Dee

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:16 pm

DeeScraps wrote:
TurtleBug wrote:Hi Dee,

Try Michaels, which seems to have a better art department, and look for something that says watercolor paper. Yes, it will be thicker and more textured than cardstock. You can also try using a brush with water to go over the coloring. Experiment and see what works.

Dee

Turtlebug, did you see the blog post I did recently about my new watercolor paints? http://www.craftingcircle.com/Bloggit/?p=1775 This is the kind of softer blend you should get if you use a brush and water... I can't paint worth a damned, but I love these paints for coloring stamps. I just did this on regular paper and card, which is why you can see the wet warp on these.

I don't have pencils but I would try what Dee suggested and use a wet brush and see if it blends well, if not maybe the same kind of technique I used for a watercoloring effect with crayola pens would work. You draw on one of the acrylic block or similar and then pick the color up with a wet brush

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:12 pm

MzWipz,
Yes, I checked out the Blog. I wouldn't mind trying the 12 ct. kit, does a brush come with it? I saw what you meant about the paper warping and the difference with these watercolors. I like how you can deepen the color by adjusting the ratio of water to color.
Although, I see these are for the professional watercolor artist, I doubt that even the best of the best could help ME improve my coloring
skills!!

The Crayola watercolor technique sounds interesting, too.

Thanks for the information!

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm

TurtleBug wrote:MzWipz,
Yes, I checked out the Blog. I wouldn't mind trying the 12 ct. kit, does a brush come with it? I saw what you meant about the paper warping and the difference with these watercolors. I like how you can deepen the color by adjusting the ratio of water to color.
Although, I see these are for the professional watercolor artist, I doubt that even the best of the best could help ME improve my coloring
skills!!

The Crayola watercolor technique sounds interesting, too.

Thanks for the information!

Nope, no brushes, but I picked up a set pf brushes in michaels for $10.. various sizes, about 18 in a plastic tube and the come with a brush roll .. like a tool belt for brushes lol. I got mine with a 50 coupon.. so they really aren't expensive and the range of sizes will be great. They say pro.. but trust me there is nothing about these you can't use.

If you are seriously considering getting some.. let me know and I'll talk to Kat..Steve and I were discussing setting up some Crafting Circle Exclusive deals ...I'll see what I can do :) At the very least there is a 20 %discount code available..I am pretty sure it's still there :)

Never say never ... I seriously can't color worth a shit... and these paints and the new Chameleon pens are changing my mind about even attempting it. think about it.. until now.. how many times have you sen me post anything I hand colored lol. At least you will show yours .. mine were so bad I wasn't posting them ANYWHERE lol sometimes it just takes finding a medium that works for you.. everyone is different .. but you just have to keep cracking at it till one clicks with you. I love these paints and pens.. might or might not suit someone else. As for the paper wet warp... I am going to build a frame to stretch the paper.. will let you ladies know if it works. I don't have the budget to"practice" on watercolor paper lol. ..and I have a few other ideas for these paints I want to try.... :)

The Crayola one is a real budget color system lol.. I would definitely say grab a pack of $2 10 pack washable markers form Walmart and have a try, never hurts to have a pack on hand... I have a 48 pack..cost about $6 or so ... it's not going to be anywhere near as smooth as using watercolors.. but you may find it easier than using pencils while you practice. Maybe it's just me but I find oil pastels, pencils and chalks, charcoal way harder to work with and learn than pens and paint... I think that's more something you move onto AFTER you learn about shade and highlights and form and shape etc.

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 pm

MsWipz,
I know all my watercolor pencil sketched cards on here have been way too crappy to post, but I do anyway....at least you all have been warned many times that I CAN"T color with any type medium, worth a hoot, but I do enjoy coloring the sketches with my watercolor pencils. :)

I do have Crayola Washable markers. I have used them on sketches, but they color too dark. These are the ones I use to write with sometimes on Explore, and they work fine for writing.

I'm not into all the shading and getting the look of hair "just right", but someday when I have the time and money to invest into these more expensive techniques I might try it. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
You at least have artistic and very creative talent in your blood, I have zero. And, you do venture into the unknown (for you) and try different things.... me, not so much. :cry:
Thanks!

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 pm

TurtleBug wrote:MsWipz,
I know all my watercolor pencil sketched cards on here have been way too crappy to post, but I do anyway....at least you all have been warned many times that I CAN"T color with any type medium, worth a hoot, but I do enjoy coloring the sketches with my watercolor pencils. :)

I do have Crayola Washable markers. I have used them on sketches, but they color too dark. These are the ones I use to write with sometimes on Explore, and they work fine for writing.

I'm not into all the shading and getting the look of hair "just right", but someday when I have the time and money to invest into these more expensive techniques I might try it. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
You at least have artistic and very creative talent in your blood, I have zero. And, you do venture into the unknown (for you) and try different things.... me, not so much. :cry:
Thanks!

Ok .. here is what you do with the crayolas... think of them as poor mans watercolors.

get your acrylic stamp block, or some other non porous surface .... Scribble on it LOL... yeah very technical.

Then just get a wet paint brush... not TOO wet but wet enough.... you will figure out a balance real quick.. and just pick up some of the color on the block with the brush....and go paint.

It's just like any kind of paint... the more ink and less water ..the darker and stronger the "paint" so depending on how you work.. you just go light to dark or dark to light.

let it dry a bit between coats. The inks dry pretty quick on the blocks but you can wet it down with the brush and it just washes off the block when you are done.

As for the details... the easy way to get started on that is very similar to how I dry ink... so if you watch those videos.... you will see I shadow along the lines with a heavier color. Just pick a light direction and always shadow on the same side of the lines.... so if its coming from the left.. shadow on the right of the lines. Shadow under chins slightly,under hair lines etc .. where natural shadows would be. There are a tonne of awesome vids on coloring on KennyK and chameleon pens and all those kind of sites. My shading and highlighting is very basic, as you go long it just gets better and better, and pay attention to that on cards you see on sites and like.. see how someone else is coloring their images and you will get a feel for what style you like and can try.

and then just add in a few shadows and such on lines like creases in clothing or joins on bodies...

Once you start shading.. the highlights will come more naturally too.

Once, you get the hang of the basics .. you will be more confident about trying something better than a crayola washable marker.. but it's a great way to practice cheaply and definitely helped me get where I am right now. to be honest I would have no way bought these paint and pens if I hadn't of had my crayolas... because I would never in a million years of gone out and got Copics with how bad my coloring was. But the crayola and dry inking practice made me want to move it up a notch lol. I still love the dry inking technique .. but wanted to add more options and variation:)

Return to “Creative Coloring Card Challenge”