November 2015 Creative coloring card challenge

DeeScraps
The Ultimate Jibber Jabber

Re: November 2015 Creative coloring card challenge

Postby DeeScraps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 am

There's another option and that is to buy a set of "Cheap" watercolors...probably Crayola will do, and use those. The main thing you need is watercolor paper. The color is controlled by the amount of water you put on the brush.

As for shading....watch some of the u-tube videos for Copic coloring/shading. Then just practice.

Dee

NanaDonna

Postby NanaDonna » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:29 am

Hello from cold crisp Colorado. Will be heading back home tomorrow.
Going to jump in on this a little, typing on my iPad so sorry about any typos.

The other days I picked up a pack of watercolor paints at Michaels because
Emma wanted paints. They have some neat colors in there about 24 I think.
I am going to give them a try with my aqua brush or watercolor brush.
They were only $4.99 so pretty inexpensive

I have to really learn the shading or shadowing too I always have a hard
Time with that even though I took a course lol.

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:07 pm

MsWipz and Dee,
Thanks for taking all this time to explain coloring techniques to me. :text-thankyouyellow:
I will use the Crayola technique on my next stamped card I post. See what you guys think of how I did, any and all critiques will be greatly appreciated! :)

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:23 pm

The more you play with ideas and just keep plugging away at it the easier it gets.. sooner or later you will find the style and techniques that work for you as an individual. I was much more comfortable with brushes than pens... that was just me. The main thing is building your confidence to just TRY... watching the videos will really help... when you find one that makes you say "OH, that looks easy enough..I could do that" is the key. Some people make it look easy, others make you go.. No way I could EVER do that lol.

and picking the right images to begin with.... it has to be an image you really like and also practical for your level...otherwise you set yourself up for disappointment and that will kick your new found confidence back into the box. start off with simple things like flowers or leaves with basic tone and shade... and build up towards the people and more complex images with a lot of toning and shading. But have a goal image that is more complex that you want to work towards.. and then when you have practiced a while.. give it a shot... then look at it and figure out what you like and don't like about it..and then practice those things some more..and then go back again a month later and redo the same image.

It won't happen overnight... you just have to be determined to make progress.. and accept that sometimes it's slow ! lol

When I first started my photography, one thing that really helped me refine my ideas, techniques and style was a scrapbook... I used to snip and paste pictures that appealed to me on a visual basis.. and gradually I started to see a trend in what my" personal" taste was... that gave me something to aim for in my own work.

You could try that with card making... Pinterest makes a great digital scrapbook for that. Compile a board of things that appeal to you.... Not things you know you can make.... but things that actually attract you creatively and make you go.. hmm .. now that is cool.

Even if it's not things you think you can make now... it will give you a goal and a view of your REAL tastes. I know I personally make a lot of things that ARE NOT my personal taste... but I also know what my personal tastes are and I am gradually growing more in that direction as my confidence in the craft increases.

Doing the monthly challenges and trying the new card making techniques etc .. really does help break you out and bring out everyones' individuality... Then you can translate those styles and ideas over into the Bi weekly challenge cards much easier.

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Here's another things that I like to do and what I did right from the beginning of my card making. I would find a card that I REALLY like and tried to figure out WHY I liked it. Then I would try and incorporate what it is that I felt made that card special into my card. Not everyone likes the same things, so it will be different for each person. :think:

Dee

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:25 pm

I had saved this Illustration off Pinterest which shows some Copic skin coloring. I don't know who was the original poster or I would give them credit.

This was also interesting..... Dee

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Speaking of watercolors, I thought this would give you all a good laugh. This is what I used on one of the cards I watercolored for our big challenge. It is left over from something I did in my Tole Painting class I took about 10 years ago. The watercolors were from tubes and squeezed on the plastic try by the teacher. As you can see, you don' need much, plus they last "forever." All I do to use them is get a brush and a container of water and mix the water with a little paint on one of the center areas. They are vey cost effective. I probably also have some tins of paint somewhere. I have a bunch of art supplies that have never been unpacked from our move some 13 years ago. LOL......

Dee

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Ok, try not to bust a gut laughing!!
I used Crayola watercolor markers. I got her face too wet and the paper started peeling. Except for the ornament hanger, all the other gray areas are silver gel or clear star pen. What do you use to color the glint in her eyes and areas like the snow, house roof, and mountains?
TurtleBug :oops: :oops: :oops:

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:29 am

ok let me try this again.. my computer bluescreened mid reply.

First off..I'm not laughing ... personally I think this is one of the best coloring pieces I have seen you do. The colors are more subtle and the blending is much smoother. You totally paid attention to the comment about using the lines to help guide your shadowing .. and that is something you just get better and better at with practice.

You will also get used to controlling the level of wetness to keep the bleed down, depending on what papers you are working on. Skin is always a @%$@#$@# when you first start, no matter what medium you are using..try a dryer brush and building that up in layers and letting it dry between them.. maybe do a layer of skin then move onto the clothing .. go back and do another layer of skin, then do the hat.. go back and do another layer if needed, or add blush and shadowing.

For a first attempt using a new medium, and technique.... I think you did a great job. I am curious though....when you say watercolor markers..... do you mean the cheap washable kids markers, or did you get some actual watercolor markers?

Check out the Sakura Gelly Roll glaze pens... they have a slight 3D effect, which you can tone down by reducing the pressure when you apply ... The pack I got had a clear and a white and I have a light aqua that works great for snowflakes etc ..but I would need to check and see if its a glaze, or regular gelly roll. I forget.

Great job... keep practicing on the skin and shadowing and tone changes and I think you will finally be a converted colorer lol. Those are all things that practice and studying other peoples work will improve over time. Building the colors up in layers will help you achieve the range of shading and tones you want too.... don't rush it and try and get the depth of color all on one sweep... that will just make it look flat.

You should be very proud of what you achieved with this piece... jumping straight into a hair and skin piece for a first image is crazy cool and brave... and I am glad you had the confidence to do that and still have that confidence to keep going. Even people who have colored for years often struggle with those two areas...and I know my first few attempts at skin and hair made me want to just slap myself up the head and take up golf LOL

and I am just right off the bat gonna say this.... Practice with the crayolas and a brush for a couple of weeks, then go get some real watercolors. If you can do this with Crayola washable kids markers, which is what I think you meant..... you can easy use real watercolors .. crayolas are actually harder to work with .. LOL

TurtleBug

Postby TurtleBug » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:08 am

"I am curious though....when you say watercolor markers..... do you mean the cheap washable kids markers, or did you get some actual watercolor markers?"
Quote: Ms Wipz

DUH!! Yes, they are the washable Crayolas
Forgot to mention to you guys, patience is a virtue I don't have, and this was a very
s-l-o-w process.

MsWipz
Post Whore

Postby MsWipz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:23 am

Me either... in fact I'm not sure I have any virtues at all LOL... at least non we can mention in polite company haha

But once you get into it and start seeing results you are happy with... you will grow to enjoy the process and want to progress to the next level.... It's very theraputic when your brain needs a rest :) and as your confidence grows you will find the process faster

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:26 am

Wow...what a great start with this medium and this image is not exactly user friendly for a novice. All the snow and different areas were hard for me to interpret. I used a light gray to try and show the snow. As for the eyes, I've never done the highlights, but that's a great idea that Ms Wipz had to use the pen. I just colored the color part of the eye.

Dee

Valeriesc
Chatty Cathy

Postby Valeriesc » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Here is my November 2015 Creative Coloring Card Challenge card. I had fun doing this one. Although I did color it twice to get the colors I wanted. The hat was what I had trouble with deciding on a color. Tried purple of course, but didn't like that it didn't show up well with the way I had colored the giraffe.

The papers are all scraps. It is also a 5" x 7" card. Hand written sentiment and brads from my stash. I cut the back prongs off the brads and attached with mini Zots. But they seem to shift a little and not stay stationary. Perhaps someone might have something better to recommend for attaching brads in this fashion.

Thanks for looking!!

DeeScraps

Postby DeeScraps » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:53 pm

I commented on your other posting. I use my liquid glue...either the white one I use that dries clear or sometimes I will use a dab of Glossy Accents. I stopped using any kind of adhesive dots ages ago because I found they just don't hold objects the way I want or need them too do.

Dee

NanaDonna

Postby NanaDonna » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 am

My intentions are good.................I got
my image colored :happy-wavemulticolor: now
just have to get it put on a card.

Return to “Creative Coloring Card Challenge”